Monday, August 19, 2019

Everyone knew this was coming!!!



Everyone that knows me knows that this update was coming. I am a very sentimental man and I never can have a significant event in my life without sharing some thoughts about the miracles that led to that event.

Being the baby of 4 kids I always had plenty of support and "guidance" as I was growing up. Being the baby had two effects on my mental condition. One is that you never feel alone and you are always protected (sometimes over protected) from harm. Another effect it has is to make you always having to live up to your siblings.

Growing up as the baby made me into the person I am today. When I was young, I was scared of my own shadow most of the time. I was only comfortable in a world where I was in my home building model airplanes, building model cars, playing with HO scale slot cars, or playing with GI Joes. My brother (Tom) and I must have rode a million miles on 20 inch bicycles too.

I hated school because I was socially awkward and did not know how to deal with bullies. I was a straight "A" student but hated being away from the comfort of my home and my family. I was shy, had no confidence (especially with girls). I did not date girls in school at all. It wasn't until after graduating from high school that my Aunt Billie set me up with a date with my Sunshine (Traci) that I dated at all. My Sunshine is the only girl I have ever kissed!

As I got older, I found the world of employment was more suited for me than school. The work world allowed me to be innovative, push the envelope, and achieve goals (things that school tends to not encourage for someone who is not "normal"). It also allowed me to spend money on my hobbies and immerse myself into all things mechanical. First it was radio control airplanes, then motorcycles, then boats. I never really got into cars (except for transportation) when I was young. I always liked them but loved racing motorcycles and boats more in my early years.

Building motorized equipment allowed me to use my brain for something that made me happy. Using my mechanical aptitude gave me confidence and also gave me my entrepreneurial spirit! I learned that I could build radio controlled airplanes for the older flyers as a way to fund my habit at about 15 years old!

I went to work for Mobil Oil as an industrial engine mechanic right after high school and became known as "Mr. Goodwrench" I took that nickname as a compliment but I think it was intended as a slam to my terrible social skills and obsession with mechanical things.

Through all of my years, working on mechanical things has always been in my life as well as doing family activities. This machine is the pinnacle of my obsession with mechanical things. This machine represents my "stamp" that we can place on something to tell the world: We don't need your college degree, We don't have to have a regular job, We don't have to be like everyone else, We don't have to settle for mediocracy! This is our statement that in this great country, you can do anything you want because of our freedom, hard work, support from family/friends and the Grace of God!

With that being said, I want to thank some people who made this both possible and special to me. If I left someone out, forgive me, it is late and you know who you are and I do appreciate it:

First, is our pastor, Brother Jerry Clements. Every time I thought it was too tough to finish this thing, all I had to do was think about how he battled cancer and beat it. Brother Jerry had just got out of the hospital again, before coming to our test session. He is a tough cookie and we love him bunches. I am so glad he was here to provide evangelical support! His message to everyone was spot on and inspired me more than he knows!



Second, the guys and ladies that helped us work on the car. We are trying to figure out what the crew looks like so we had more help than we needed. It was s nice having Bruce (lifetime friend) and Tom (my middle brother) working together on the car. It has been a long time since I have participated with them on a hobby related activity. Tom and I used to do everything together. Bruce and I used to ride dirt bikes together. They were both super organized and fast workers! It was also fun to see them work together again. It has been a long time.

Patrick (our Business Development Manager), was having to learn new things and volunteered to back me up after burnouts and managed tire pressure. It was great having his smiling face giving me comfort as I backed the car down the racetrack.

My brother Greg and lifelong friend Scott helped out wherever they were needed. Scott also helps me  when he has time on weekends in the shop.


My Sunshine is responsible for safety equipment for obvious reasons. She has the most interest in me not getting hurt. She is my rock and takes such good care of me.

Then there is Joe (our business partner). As usual, if it involved computers or electronics, no one can troubleshoot and fix it like Joe. We had an issue with our data logger and were not able to look at our tuning data. Joe fixed it within a few minutes after us asking him to look at it. He is amazing!

Third, Jackee, Jack, Sissie, and Jaime took care of our guests and documenting the whole experience. Jackee designed the amazing shirts for us as well. She is a great artist and is always there to help.

Then there was the track staff. Austin Hayward is an amazing young man. He is all of 22 or 23  years old and does an amazing job of running the track. He gives me hope in our future generations. He is mature beyond anyone I have seen in recent years at his age. He is a fine young man and a huge asset to Houston Raceway Park.

The paramedics and track workers also did a super job. Every time the car ran, the fire team and paramedics arrived within seconds after I pulled off the track to make sure I was OK.



That brings me to the Janis's. Mike Sr. and Jr. are just amazing! They had a chassis and engine tuned and ready to run with 1 1/2 hours of arriving at the track. They are calm and collected. They are patient. They are gracious. They were serious. They are my main source of information. They are the smartest people with a race car that I have ever seen. They are my good friends!



I know it must have been overwhelming to have all of the people hanging around while trying to get "The Black Hole" to perform while coaching me to prevent me from killing myself. I felt so comfortable in the car because I knew it was going to do what they wanted it to. Having Mikey staging me, making sure I took care of final steps in the car, and blessing the run as he told me to take it down the track was the most incredible experience. I will never forget that experience.

I have thought a thousand times what this week would have looked like without them. It would not have been pretty or possible!!!!

Lastly, there is my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. He has guided Traci and I every step of the way. Without Him, I would have never met the Janis's. Never have traded the boat for the chassis, Never had "The Blue Banana" at the track so we could use a part we needed to run the car (This is a biggie). Never have married my best friend! Never have been given the motivation and wisdom to build this machine. Thank you Jesus for your sacrifice and your blessings!


No comments:

Post a Comment