Sunday, June 9, 2019

Installing Tubs

I finished one of the last remaining dreaded jobs on The Black Hole today. I have been dreading installing the rear fender wells (called tubs) for quite some time because It is a slow, tedious, dirty, and itchy process cutting the carbon fiber and fitting it. You must trim one little piece at a time until you get them where they fit without being in a bind and cause stress cracks on the body.

I still have some filler pieces to cut to fill the openings behind the tubs. All of the holes have to be filled to prevent smoke from entering the cockpit during a burnout.

I had to build cardboard templates  from underneath the car to get the general shape of the tubs. After marking the tubs with the templates, you cut them slightly larger than they need to be and test fit them. You have to take them in and out until you get them to fit how you want them to fit. In, Out, In, Out, In, Out.......... Get the picture?

I still have to bond them to the body once I get  the smaller filler plates cut and fit. They are in the car but not bonded. The insides of the car look awesome and very professional with he tubs in. The last picture is of the inside of the car with the shiny carbon fiber looking great. I am very pleased with how they turned out.

One step closer!








Click on the Blog Archive hierarchy on the right hand side to see my posts in order. The ones at the bottom are the newest posts.


Or



Back to Home Page



2 comments:

  1. Hi Dean,

    I've enjoyed reading your posts on the black hole. Your style of writing is engaging and fun! Thanks- Nick Mayor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking tubs . I know it was a lot of work. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete