Friday, November 30, 2018

NHRA Chassis Certification

We had a major accomplishment this week. As you all know I have done a lot of modifications to the chassis to modernize it and make it safer. As always, I tend to critical of my own work and worry about my workmanship being good enough. I have been nervous about getting the chassis certified ever since I made the first weld on it.

When I started this dream, I had never done any TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) welding and not only was I concerned that my welds would not pass inspection, I worried that they might not even hold the car together. By the time I finished my modifications, my TIG welding skills had improved dramatically. Although I have good days and bad days, most of my welds look pretty good.

Yesterday, The NHRA chassis inspector came to my shop and performed the inspection process on the car and it passed! As of yesterday, there are no other barriers other than money and time that would prevent the dream from coming true! There were a couple of pieces of tubing that the inspector thought were not sized to spec, but after review of the SFI spec, those tubes were legal.

When the inspector was preparing the tag for the chassis I told him what a "Big Deal" this was for a rookie like me. He made my day when he told me "Your not a rookie, this is a good chassis".

Now the marathon begins to try and meet my goal of having "The Black Hole" ready for a test session in February.

We only got to celebrate our victory for about 1 hour  before I got a phone from my dad (who was in the house less than a 10 feet away). He told me had fallen and needed help. Unfortunately as I write this, we are at the hospital with him waiting for him to go into surgery to repair his broken left Femur. He is in good spirits and is ready to get the problem fixed. We do not know what the rehab process is going to look like or how it will affect our lives, but God will provide. Stay tuned to see if we can still meet our schedule!

We would appreciate all of your prayers for my dad. He wants to be able to see " The Black Hole" make that first burnout and run.

Here is the proof that I have an approved NHRA ProMod chassis:





Click on the Blog Archive hierarchy on the right hand side to see my posts in order. The ones at the bottom are the newest posts.


Or

Back to Home Page



No comments:

Post a Comment