Tuesday, November 20, 2018

All welded up




In just a few days the NHRA inspector will be coming to the shop to inspect the chassis to make sure it meets the proper SFI safety specifications for the ProMod class.

As of tonight, I have everything welded up with the exception of a new larger anti-roll bar. This device prevents the chassis from leaning over in response to engine torque making the car move forward (Newton’s law, “For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction”).

The chassis already has an anti-roll bar but it is undersized for the amount of power the car will be making now.

Once that is done, God willing, it will be ready and have an NHRA certification! This will be a major milestone! Seeing my welds today vs my welds when I first started trying to TIG weld is like night and day. Practice truly does make perfect. There is no other way to learn this skill except by doing it.

The chassis has had a ton of changes made to it to meet the new requirements. I have touched almost everything!

I would appreciate all of your prayers that the chassis will pass the inspection. To not pass would be a show stopper!

Here are some pictures as it sits today. Everything that is bare steel was modified by me.







TIG fillet weld.



Another TIG weld.


.
Yet another TIG weld


My TIG welding is getting better!


Front frame work to house the oil tank and fuel tank.



Side view of tank brackets.


New adjustable front strut mounts.


Driveshaft safety loops and tube.


I welded 4-link mount doublers to add 1/4 inch of material for handling the extra horsepower



Transmission crossmember is removable now to make transmission service easier.


Oil filter and breather bracket.


The round tubes will house small LED lights so I can see to strap in the car and get ready to run in dark staging lanes at night races.


Click on the Blog Archive hierarchy on the right hand side to see my posts in order. The ones at the bottom are the newest posts.


Or

Back to Home Page



No comments:

Post a Comment