Monday, August 21, 2017

DUUUUUHHHHHH

I just had to do two posts tonight because I want to share our DUH moment for the weekend.

I have been consistently red lighting in the elimination rounds but I was able to get some OK lights on Friday night racing. Each time I red lit, I felt like I had a decent light and certainly didn't think I red lighted.

After doing it again on Saturday, I told Traci that something was not right. I knew I was not leaving on the competitor's light, because there are blinders on the light where you cannot even see their lights. Traci and I decided to go watch some rounds of racing to see what was going on. We went to mid track so we could see the back side of the tree and see both lane's lights. Sure enough, no matter how much difference in the dial ins of the cars (slow cars vs fast cars), the top yellow light was coming on at the same time. I had never seen this before at the races I had been to. In the old days, the top light comes on later for the faster driver. And when the racers are running heads up with no handicap, it does not affect the lighting sequence. That is the reason I was not red lighting on Friday night (heads up racing). Something was going on here.

After going back to the trailer, I started to research this crazy light thing. What I learned is that these Super Pro classes that I was racing in uses what is called a Compulink Crosstalk timing system. This system has both lights come on at the same time and the faster car's light stays on longer until the slower cars lights give him the head start. I was just leaving on the top light and never saw the lagging light because I was already traveling down the track.

I then started reading how to use this system and found out the super smart delay box that I bought will compensate for this.  If I plug in the competitors time into my delay box. Sure enough, it works. DUH!!! By the way, the delay box instruction manual does not say anything about this type of staging system.

Traci and I laughed about it all evening and were ready this morning armed with our new knowledge. The delay box worked perfect!

This is information that competitors don't tell you when they see easy prey, ha! They just hope they get paired with me so they can get a freebie round, ha!!

Anyway, another lesson learned. Now they will have to beat me another way. That method is history.

We felt a little better this morning when we met another nice racer and his wife that told us they did the same thing when they started.

Life is full of challenges.


Click on the Blog Archive hierarchy on the right hand side to see my posts in order. The ones at the bottom are the newest posts.

Or


Back to Home Page

No comments:

Post a Comment