Monday, May 8, 2017

Good Progress!

I made some progress this weekend on the dragster and tow truck.

First the tow truck. I spent all day today changing all of the fluids and checking over the truck. It is in really good shape mechanically. 

New engine oil, new transmission oil, flushed the cooling system, changed the air filter and coolant filter.

I also added a programmer chip to add 30 percent more power for towing "The Long Long Trailer".

Now for the dragster. I finished building a new dash out of lightweight composite material. I rearranged all of the control boxes and switches to fit me better. I also reworked some circuits to work differently and make the staging process easier and safer.


I also rewired the whole car. The wiring was outdated and had a bunch of unused wires in the wire loom. That kind of stuff drives me crazy!


Every connector is now shrink wrapped to keep it from breaking from vibration. All of the terminals are now eyelet type to keep them from getting lose and vibrating out of the terminals.


Everything is zip tied together to prevent vibration failures and make everything look better. I also added miniature LED headlights (almost invisible) for coming back down return roads at night races.




I also added some sensor to the data aquisition system. I added transmission temperature, engine crankcase pressure/vacuum, and A/F ration on each header. My TIG welding is definitely getting better after building the headers for the ProMod car. I welded the collars on these stainless headers without a single blow through or "Dobber Nest", HA!!



The data system now records/displays:


  • Engine RPM
  • Oil Pressure 
  • Water Temperature
  • Oil Temperature
  • Transmission Temperature
  • Fuel Pressure
  • Driveshaft RPM
  • A/F Ratio Left Header
  • A/F Ration Right Header

I also installed a new set of seat belts. The belts have to be recertified every two or three years and were out of certification. The throttle pedal and brake pedal got moved about 6 inches further forward to make room for my long legs.



Click on the Blog Archive hierarchy on the right hand side to see my posts in order. The ones at the bottom are the newest posts.

Or

Back to Home Page



No comments:

Post a Comment