Saturday, July 28, 2018

New Titanium Firewall

I finally got back to working on the car again. We have had lots of family obligations and time has been hard to come by.

I am trying to get all of the fabrication work done and I have been putting the firewall off for a while.

I decided to fabricate it out of .035 titanium sheet for its strength and nice looks. It also will not rust so I will leave it in its raw form because it looks really nice that way.

I made templates from poster board and then cut the titanium to its rough shape. Once I fitted it to its final shape, I rolled a 1/8 inch step into it to make it more rigid. The step roll also makes it look nice.

I welded the top part of the firewall to the cowl that attaches to the car body. Titanium is interesting to weld but makes a neat looking weld because of the rainbow colors that are created because of the heat and shield gas.

I still have to build mounts to attach the firewall to the car permanently. I hope to have it all finished this weekend.

Next weekend is another bracket race in Baytown. I will race the Blue Banana again and hopefully win some more rounds.








Click on the Blog Archive hierarchy on the right hand side to see my posts in order. The ones at the bottom are the newest posts.

Or




Back to Home Page


No comments:

Post a Comment